Friday, July 20, 2007

Driver's From Hell

If you've ever dared to drive the roads and interstates in and around New York City you'll know what I went through for two days. Pattyjo and I drove down Wed. afternoon, well I drove, Patty sat and did scratch off's. Our trip was for a worthy cause because we were picking up a new pup for Pattyjo's mom at Laguardia Airport on Thursday. At first glance I thought it was Juan Pablo coming up so fast in a black Beemer I thought he was going to take us out... the Beemer swerved inbetween us and the car behind us then flew by us on the right side and cut in front dicing between us and the car in front of us and our speedo read 72 mph while going 3 wide into a corner. This was one of several instances of drivers thinking risking their lives and other's was better than being late for whatever. We spent the night in an over priced Holiday Inn with mattresses that would have been suited for a boxing ring mat, but the food was good. On Thursday morning I wished Pattyjo a happy birthday and soon we were on our way to the airport yet another 50 miles away. There are only a couple of ways to get out to Queens and thankfully I went with my gut instinct and stayed clear of the George Washington Bridge. We made it to Laguardia with plenty of time to spare, foolish that I am or a glutton for punishment, I drove on into Long Island to kill time. After an hour of wannabe NASCAR driver's around us I got off the 4 wide superspeedway and we found a Starbucks!! If I've ever needed a Frappacino it was then. I decided to spend our two hours wasting it at the airport... at least there the van was parked and we could watch people. What happened at 2:30 made it all worth it.... the little Jap-Chin arrived and Pattyjo was overwhelmed with joy. Her mother had lost a Jap-Chin on Memorial Day due to a car so this was a great moment for her. The ride home was better and before I knew it we were well north of that place where life flies by at the speed of light.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Folks are always in a hurry...going nowhere!

Cheyenne said...

So let me get this straight...there is no Cup race this weekend, so you had to find your own? Glad to hear you made it home in one piece.

Anonymous said...

Yikes I se traffic hasn't changed in NYC since I was last there..It was an adventure in a Big Rig....Glad you made out alright...I wonder if that really was Juan Pablo in that Beemer???/

cheers

MIKE said...

In the last month and a half I have been to or through Chicago twice for vacations. Just the opposite. There was so much construction that I was at a red flag longer than I was at a green or even a yellow flag. DROVE ME NUTS!!!